Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Building Champions Experience 2008 - Day 1

The first day at BCE 2008 was a great day. We didn't get started until 2:00 so it gave Chris and I a chance to go to the gym, do a little shopping, and have a great lunch at the Pine Tavern in Bend, OR. Named for the knotty pine paneled walls and two HUGE pine trees growing right up through the center of the restaurant!

When we got started at the retreat, the music was energizing. CEO Daniel Harkavy opened up with a great video of the current challenges we are facing in our economy, and simply asked the room of about 175 leader, "What's Next?" It set the stage well.

Some things that stuck with me after Day 1:
  • Key words for the week: Intentional, Disciplined, Simple, Grateful
  • Definition of Discipline - "Do WHAT you should, WHEN you should, WHETHER YOU FEEL LIKE IT OR NOT!" - Great definition
  • Work smarter , not harder, does not imply that you don't have to continue to work hard!
  • Two of the coaches struck me with tips they gave: 1) LEARN - Come with a humble spirit and ask the question in each of your interactions "What can I learn from this interaction?" 2) LISTENING - "Don't listen to agree or disagree. Don't listen to like or dislike. Listen to learn. I really have to be aware on this one.
  • One of the Coaches presenting came up to me and thanked me in the hall at the end of the day. He said he focused on me visually because I was affirming and it made it easier for him to present. I was happy to help and I learned something for presenting in large groups. Look through the crowd and pick out two or three folks visually who are affirming your message. It does make it easier to present and give confidence.

Chris and I finished off the night with a nice dinner with some of the folks we have met here.

Day 2 goals for me: 1) Intentionally connect with at least two more people. 2) Listen to Learn! Be aware of when I am judging what is being said as agree/disagree.

1 comment:

  1. Just got home and saw you had posted new entries! So good to hear a participants perspective... It was great getting to meet you and Chris face-to-face. I look forward to seeing you again soon!
    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete