Thursday, December 31, 2009

3 Simple Questions to ask in preparing for 2010





As 2009 comes down to the wire, I hope that you have had a chance to reflect on the past year.  I have enjoyed reading some other blogs about preparing for 2010 so I felt compelled to share my own preparation techniques.  This technique doesn't just work for New Year's goals or resolutions, but solving many problems you may face.  This is a tool introduced to me by my coach, Raymond Gleason of Building Champions.

To achieve the new goals you set, I ask myself the following 3 questions, in this order:
1)  What do I need to KEEP doing? - What are those things that you have done that have worked?  Be as specific as you can.
2)  What do I need to START doing? - Maybe there is something missing from your process that you need to add.  Again, be specific.  If you have a goal to lse weight, it doesn't help to say that "I need to start eating better."  It might be better to say: "I need to start packing my lunch three days a week to reduce fast food intake."
3)  What do I need to STOP doing? - Maybe the most important question to answer.  Because we only have 24 hours in a day, if we want to START doing things and don't STOP doing things, then we will become overwhelmed and likely not succeed.  Our KEEPs will suffer and our STARTs will be ineffective.  So, what are those things you need to STOP doing (even though they may be good things) so that you can achieve your goals.  The Law of Sacrifice says it best:  "You have to give up (STOP) to go up (Achieve goals)"

KEEP, START, STOP - It really is simple...and effective.

So, what are you going to KEEP, START, and STOP doing to go higher in 2010?


I wish you all the best in 2010.  I hope that this blog continues to add value to your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment