Sunday, July 26, 2009

Leadership at The Movies!

One of the favorite tools I like to use when presenting on Leadership is a movie. There are so many movies out there that have great Leadership principles embedded in them, so to speak. Maybe unknowingly, even.

I am preparing a presentation that I will do this week titled "What Got You Here...Won't Get You There". I will be using the clip below to chat about what it will take us to get from the 10-yard line to the "end zone". It is a clip from "Facing the Giants". If you have a few minutes, it is a good clip to watch.

Other movies I have used in the past include:
  • Dead Poet's Society - Carpe Diem (Seize the Day) - Make a Difference
  • Hoosiers - The Underdog and overcoming fear
  • Sister Act (Yes, Sister Act!) - Great parts for Identifying Strengths and Putting People in the Right Seats on the Bus
  • Miracle - Several great leadership stories in this movie, including Team before Individual, Standard Work, Passion
  • Who's on First - Communication skills!!

I know there are more that I have used and will use in the future. A couple questions for you as a leader:

  1. Is there a movie you have seen that has a great Leadership topic embedded in it?
  2. When you are watching a movie, are you 'watching' for that possible teaching moment you can use in the future?

Please share if you do. Also, if you have a few minutes, watch this clip below and let me know what Leadership Principles you see 'embedded' in it.

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment