Thursday, January 8, 2009

Is there such thing as an ideal work week?

My coach asked me to draft up a new 'ideal' work week for 2009. What a challenging exercise! I have only been trying this time block thing for about 5 years now, and there is always room for improvement. I even tried this with the kids and post-it notes, and that was somewhat successful.

One of the biggest differences in my real estate career thus far, compared to manufacturing has been the lack of structure. I have worked hard trying to force the structure and have had to make adjustments in many ways. But, there are still things that need to happen every day and every week and every month to achieve my goals. So, I have added a daily productivity review and weekly productivity review.

Daily @ 10:00 p.m.:
Email inbox to zero (yes, it is possible)
Review Google/reader (blogs I follow)
Review voice mail
Blog
Read book

Prayer

Weekly on Monday mornings @ 9:00:
Team weekly task
Review supraekey data (showings of our listings)
Load in open house contacts
Care cards (2 minimum)
Clean out Read, Answer, File emails
Sync blackberry
Add in new phone numbers
Review coaching journal, notebook, post-its for activities needed added to task list or completed.
Review Top Producer(contact and listing plan manager) tasks for any past due items on calendar


Of course, there are many other items in the list (family time, exercise, meetings, etc.), but these seem to be the items I need to get done on a very regular basis to stay ahead and continue to grow.

A lot of folks would refer to this as too 'structured', but this seems to be how I am wired and most productive. Certainly, I am not naive enough to believe that these things will happen 100% of the time at the same day and time, but it is my shot at an ideally productive week.

How do you organize your time? What am I missing?

No comments:

Post a Comment